So, What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

Friday, March 16, 2012

Yesterday, my 2 year old nephew Miguel visited us at home together with his mother and brother. While at home, Mig and his mother kept on showcasing to me his new learning. One of the questions Mig was supposed to answer correctly was: "Miguel, what do you want to be when you grow up?" To which the kiddo answered, "Pilot". Which led me to thinking the topic for today's post. How many of us were rally able to achieve our dream job when we were still a child? When we were asked during childhood days, "What do you want to be when you grow up?," what was then your answer? Do you still have the same dream as of today?

As for me, I had so many dream careers when I was a child. But none of them was ever materialized! Haha! But no bitterness, I believe that God has His own purpose for not giving us everything we want. After all, I don't think I would be living the life I'm loving right now if I had taken a different path.

I remember when I was in kindergarten, I had always wanted to be a nun.



A nun! Maybe God was saying then, "For God's sake! Please leave the convention alone!" HAHAHA! I studied in a Catholic school then and I really admired the nuns. I think that they are all beautiful and kind and neat and is very much close to the Lord. And I wanna be just like that. Unfortunately, my growing up years made me realized I may not be a good candidate to enter the abbey. I might just end up like "Maria" in the "Sound of Music" movie wherein she was every nun's despair.


Then, my elementary years were spent dreaming about becoming a flight stewardess.


I think I'm qualified with the smile. :D
So I started passing my resume to some airline companies, both local and abroad when I was 24 years of age. I was hoping maybe I can fulfill this dream.








Only then I realized that they had some physical requirement. Firstly, you've got to have long legs because they have a height requirement (at least 5'3"). Secondly, you've got to be an anorexic of some sort because there's also a weight requirement. Thirdly, thin legs and small waistline for that perfect proportional body. Whoaa! now that just pissed me off. Seriously. Because I've got big legs (not long) and I eat 6 times a day but I believe I still always fall on the normal weight category. I think I can still pull off that uniform. Why the discrimination with girls with big legs? Duh.

Highschool came and I just had another dream career. I want to be a travel show host or a journalist of some kind.

You know that travel show hosted by Angel Aquino and other fab girls? That's what you call "Dream Job". I get to travel for free, see myself on tv, showcase the beauty of each places I get to, try out new foods, discover new hobby, try out that new spa, dress the way I like etc. Angel, why can't I have your job? We do have the same color right? Again, maybe this job isn't for me just because I always get a migraine after long hours of travel. Aaawww!

So, here I am. I ended up battling my way to the top in the IT industry. Do I love this job? Somehow. I still love the fact that I'm working in an Anti-Virus company with all the nerds (joke!) challenging me. But definitely not all the time. And you know what I just figured out all these years? Now I want to be an entrepreneur. I want to own a cafe. I just love coffee and I think I could have Starbucks cafe as my home. Its the perfect home aroma for me. I also want to be a make up artist! Then own a store full of cosmetics. I want to beautify everyone!

This is where the challenge begins. Whichever comes first, a make up artist or a cafe owner, what matters is that I was able to achieve it. What I need now is the motivation and the action. So help me Lord, and you guys reading this too, please help me get motivated. If this is what my heart wants, then surely God will guide me. Again stay positive and I know next few years, I'm gonna have that cafe and cosmetics store. Just like these pictures below. These will be my inspirations.;)

My Future Coffee Shop

My Own Sephora


How in the world would I own these? I'm still clueless but I know God will help me to achieve the desires of my heart.

"Believe you can, and you're halfway there."




You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Nice Article! I also wanted to become a journalist when I was in Elementary. I was the school paper's photo journalist. My idea then was to take up Mass Communication same as Ely Buendia's couse hahahaha (idol eh)... Still, i need to choose so I took up COE.

    We'll I don't regret it. My IT work is my source of income but doing what i love is (one of) my source of Happiness :). It is where I know I am at my best and I know I can really be on top.

    So my advice, just do what your heart truly desires. You can never go wrong if you really have the motivation... AJA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks tinjie! lets make our dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JO! I still remember those days when we actually tried to pursue our dream to be a Flight Attendant! haha! Still have that photo.. Anyway, whatever dream/s we have in our hearts, i firmly believe that what we have now is exactly where we're supposed to be.
    Look at you, you're a mother now.. that's my dream too ^_^
    Good luck to your plans,I'm sure you'll achieve those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how come when we were young we wanted to be closer to God just like the nuns, i was also in a catholic school (not exclusive though) but i did wanted to be like them...weird. we don't always get what we want, we get what we need...maybe that's why we end up where we are right now. keep writing!

    ReplyDelete