Of Books and Nostalgia

Saturday, September 01, 2018

Do you still remember the first book that made you love reading? I recently stumbled upon FB, a page about the first book that made fall in love with reading and its none other than : 

Sweet Valley Book Series

Nostalgia swept over my whole body the very instant I saw a fan page of it. By the way, Sweet Valley Books is a popular teenage book from the 80s and 90s. The fan page owner has the complete book collection and I just can’t help but feel envy! I almost cried seeing the pictures of the books, I just love it so much!



Image from Terrific-top10.com
You might be saying I am overacting to feel such emotions just by seeing books. But for someone who hasn’t seen her most favorite book during elementary and high school days since leaving high school premises, nothing can beat the misery of seeing the books in pictures only. I want to see it personally and touch the pages again. To read again each chapter and relieve the moment when I started developing my love for the written words. If you are in my age bracket and a reader, you would know how relatable Sweet Valley High characters are during that time and how popular they are. They even created a "Sweet Valley High TV Show"! Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield were every teenager's peg during that time. I will forever be grateful to Francine Pascal, and the ghostwriters of the books, for they made me a reader at a young age.

I started reading Sweet Valley Books, the SVT and SVH, when I was about 9 years old. I can’t remember who introduced me to it but I’m thankful to whoever he/she is. I read one book and immediately got hooked. I think I finished one book for 3 days during that time and then after I would borrow from the library again. I loved it! I mean the volume in the library was not complete but I still read every book of the series I can grab from the bookshelves.

After reading all the books of SVH and SVT from the library, I tried other books too. When I think about these books, I feel nostalgic and sentimental. I hope you can relate with me. Here is the list of books I also loved during my elementary and highschool days:

Choose Your Own Adventure Books


This is a gamebook wherein the story is written from a second-person point of view, with the reader assuming the role of the main character and making the decision for some parts in the books, thus determining the plot’s outcome (ref: https://www.facebook.com/benjo.m.cruz?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser). This book is exciting because you will choose what would you do if you were in the situation in the story.

Image from Terrific-top10.com




Image result for choose your own adventure books page
It's your choice! Credit to the owner.




Nancy Drew Mystery Stories

Nancy Drew was a girl detective in this mystery book series. I got engaged with the book because of the thrill it brings to young readers like me because she was only 16 years old in the book and already trying to solve mysteries. I liked it because you know, girl power! Unlike SVT and SVH, our library doesn’t have the abundance of this book series so I was able to read only a few of the books.


Image result for nancy drew books
Image from Barnes and Noble.




Harry Potter Book Series


I was already on my third-year highschool when Harry Potter’s first book came out. Because buying fiction books were not included in the budget in our family, I just contented myself with free books to read from the library. But when I saw HP books from my classmates, it was my very first envy. I really wanted to buy the book but its too expensive for our finances. I didn’t even know what the story was all about. I just heard from my classmates discussing the new book craze during that time that it was all about a young boy wizard and that there was a school for wizards in the book. When I heard about it, I really want to get a hold of that book and be transported to that wizard school! I finally read it when I was in college when my older sis bought the books HP 1-6 when she had her first job. And boy, it’s a treasure in our house till today.



Image result for harry potter books
Image from Barnes and Noble.


Disney Fairy Tales


As a girl, I've always loved reading Disney fairy tales. I still do. Who never fell in loved with the story of Cinderella? And who never dreamt of a prince charming? How I wish I could have long, beautiful hair like Rapunzel. When I started reading, I was about 6-7 years old, these were the books that ignited my love for fictional books.


Image result for disney story books
Image from Sccopnest.com




Its a trip down the memory lane while writing about these books. I remember everything. The library, the book covers, the smell of books, the library cards, book shelves etc. I even remember an area in our library where you can stay after your class, remove your shoes, lie down in the floor and read. Now that’s what we call “chillin" during that time hahaha! I hope more young ones will be in love with books instead of games and gadgets. I’m telling you, no regrets in reading a good book.

They say if you want to know what your passion is, ask yourself what are the things you would do over and over again even for free? Well, I’ve got two: reading and writing. And I would always love to read these books one more time.


Stay positive and pass it on.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. 'Choose Your Own Adventure Books'!!! What a blast from the past! I have a few of those and I greatly enjoyed every adventure I had from reading the books.

    And the HP books! We're the same -- during high school, I only borrowed HP books 1-3 from classmates, then saved up for books 4-6, then just read HP7 via an ebook I downloaded online. I only got the physical copy of HP7 when I was already working (and also bough physical copies for 1-3 at last!). I am actually reading the series again (now on book 5!) to experience Hogwarts magic all over again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading HP books again, too! And you know, I realized it's really a good book. Kasi re-reading it still makes me feel excited! The same feeling the first time I read it!

      Delete
  2. Choose your Own Adventure! Ang saya nga nyan! :) I also remember having RL Stine Goosebumps on my shelves before hihi But now as an adult, I can't even watch horror movies lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete