No More American Dream

Saturday, April 21, 2012


Again, I am so busy at work I have no time to blog. I really miss posting on my site and seeing lot of traffic on my webpage. So I thought I need something worth reading to post and something that would really entice my readers' minds. :)

Last week, I have just done one life-changing decision. I have just passed my resignation letter. Though it is truly a heartbreak to leave the company I have worked for 8years in my life, I know that God is up to something good that's why He gave me a new opportunity to be accepted in another company.

When we decide to leave the company we are working for, it must be because we have found a better workplace. Be it a better pay, better working environment, better work schedules, etc. But can these "better" things compete with the world's best countries to work for? Surprisingly, America is not on the list. Aaaww, does that mean no more "American Dream" for us Filipinos? I have nothing against USA but the facts says it all, USA may not be the only country that can be branded "the land of milk and honey" nowadays. Read on and see for yourself what we are actually missing. :) (the blue lines are my comments)


The 10 Best Countries to Work In

Source: Yahoo! She

1. GERMANY: According to statistics compiled by the OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development), Germans work just 27.8 hours per week, one of the lowest standards among countries studied in the OECD.Germans also maintain a high standard of living despite rendering few hours of work and one of the strongest economies in Europe. 

I am green with envy with these German workers hehehe.


2. BULGARIA: Bulgarians are given up to 410 days of paid maternity leave at 90 percent of the mother's salary, 45 days of which must be taken prior to the birth of the child. Parents are also eligible for a second year of paid parental leave at a minimum salary. Even better, both the father and the grandparents can take the second year of maternity leave in place of the mother, if necessary.

Why didn't I learn about this before giving birth?!


3. BRAZIL: Brazil is most notable for offering workers the most paid vacation days per year in the world. Full-time workers can earn a whopping 41 paid days off - 30 of those days are mandated for leisure time at the worker's convenience, and the other 11 are considered paid federal holidays.

Which leads me to a conclusion... maybe that's one of the reasons why they have a lot of beautiful people... lots of time to beautify themselves and less work stress lol.


4. FRANCE: According to the OECD, French people work nearly 200 hours less each year than other countries in the organization. France is also a world leader when it comes to the number of paid vacation days: 40 in total, 30 of which are mandated and 10 of which are public holiday.

France should not just be known for its romantic place but also for the work benefits the French are getting.


5. FINLAND: Like Brazil and France, Finland is one of the world leaders in offering paid vacation days - up to 40 days a year, including 30 of which are mandated, and 10 more as public holiday. Additionally, only .04 percent of Finnish workers work more than 50 hours a week on average, an important indicator for a healthy work/life balance.

I wanna have that 40days holiday too!!!


6. NETHERLANDS: Workers clock only 1,378 hours per year, or 27.6 hours per week. Like Germany, however, the Netherlands maintains a healthy GDP and high standard of living in spite of fewer hours on the job. On top of that, they are given 28 paid vacation days per year, and 16 weeks of paid maternity leave at 100 percent of their salaries. As if that weren't enough, Dutch workers are also offered tax breaks on an additional 26 weeks of unpaid maternity leave if required.

I hope the Philippine Government would somehow consider this tax break in labor code. :)


7. NORWAY: A parent is given as much as 47 weeks at 100 percent salary, or 57 weeks at 80 percent salary. Nine weeks are reserved for the mother, 12 weeks (the "daddy's quota") are reserved for the father, and the parents can share the rest. Norwegian workers are also given a healthy 35 days of paid vacation per year.

Reading this makes me feel like I want to conceive again... only if I am working in Norway hehehe.


8. DENMARK: Denmark was ranked No. 1 in the world for providing the best work/life balance by the OECD. It has a number of factors working for it: a full 52 weeks of paid maternity leave, 34 total days of paid vacation, and only .04 percent of workers are on the job more than 50 hours per week. Additionally, the OECD calculated that as many as 16.31 hours per day are dedicated to personal care among Danish workers.

Work-life balance in its best definition!
 

9. LITHUANIA: It is the only nation tied with Brazil in offering the most total paid vacation days in the world at 41 ("only" 28 are mandated, but 13 are public holiday). Lithuania also offers a generous maternity leave: one year of leave at 100 percent salary, or if parents opt to take two years off, the first year is set at 70 percent salary and at 40 percent in the second year.

These countries really know how much does it really take to be a parent and an employee at the same time. Kudos to that!


10. SWEDEN:  As many as 480 days, or 16 months, of paid parental leave is offered to workers, 60 days of which are reserved for the father. Furthermore, those 480 days can be spent however the parents see fit over the first eight years of their child's life. Sweden also offers a generous 36 days of paid vacation every year, and ranks firmly in the top 10 countries in the OECD with the best work/life balance.

For the record, Sweden is my best bet to work in. :) How I wish I could have that 16month paid parental leave :(



WOW. Working in these countries may just be the work-life balance everybody's dreaming of. Apparently, 9 of these countries are situated in Europe. Oh yes, not in America. Reading this article actually got me into thinking, would it be best to migrate in these places? Who knows, one day I might just give in. But for now, I am such a patriotic as everybody knows. For me, still, "Its more fun in the Philippines!" I love you, motherland!




You Might Also Like

0 comments