Review: Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa

Friday, May 24, 2019

Summer came early for us as we decided to take the beach before February even ends. The main reason for this was because my husband was able to receive some extra money from his patent submission. So as a mini-celebration we thought of hitting the beach since summer is already coming. And we can certainly feel the heat! We decided also that we will not go very far this time so as to minimize our expenses since we are on a limited budget. We certainly don't plan on spending all of our unexpected money. And so we decided to spend our vacation at a La Union Beach Resort!

San Juan La Union


I've mentioned in my previous post when we went to Vitalis Villas at Santiago Cove Ilocos Sur, that when we passed by La Union, I got mesmerized by the beach of the place. I saw how the waves dance in the blue sea. It was beautiful and inviting. And it never left my mind from then on. So I told my husband this is the place we need to be and he also agreed because it would be easier for him to drive since he is getting used to driving up north because we had been to Baguio and Ilocos Sur recently.

I researched for a place in La Union where we can stay and, of course, I read a lot of comments and feedback from people because I'm a little bit OC when it comes to hotels/resorts when I am with my little one. If its just me I can stay on a nipa hut for all I care but when I am with my son, I just have some non-negotiables, which some people may say "pag-iinarte" but its my life! ahahah! My usual non-negotiables are: first, the resort must be spick and span especially the rooms, second, it must have a swimming pool, third, beach front. Based on the reviews, I came up with the decision to stay at Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa at San Juan, La Union.

Going to the resort was easy. For one, it is "waze-able" and two, the place is among one of the many resorts along Urbiztondo Highway. Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa is one of the many La Union beach resort but what makes it a top resort is its beautiful Bali theme. Here's a picture of us at their reception:



By the way, our travel time from Bulacan to La Union was more than 3 hours. I just brought some sandwich and chips so we can eat inside the car while driving. When we arrived, refreshment drinks were offered. Going inside the resort, its a beautiful place with Bali-themed villas and pathways.


Love it!

Glass window around the whole hut but there are blinds you can pull down for your privacy.



Inside, the room is not that big. It's kind of small than what I've expected. Of course, I've got the cheapest room but I've stayed at rooms bigger than this at the same price. The basic amenities are complete though.



Look at that big window in the bathroom hahaha!

Resort Premises

We went out to check the pool and the beach and saw that the whole premise was adorable:

The small pool for the kids and the bigger pool for adults but its only about 5ft deep.

About 3pm and nobody dared swim in the beach haha!

The waves are calling but the beach was scorching!

We took a little rest in our room and then at 5pm it was time to hit the beach!



I can't get enough of the sunset!

No filter!




View from the pool.





One of the things I like in this resort is their location. Their beachfront is very wide and its in the part of the beach where its not rocky. The sand is very fine and the beach, clean. I think this is also one of the best La Union beach resorts for surfing, especially for beginners, because the waves are not so high. Its also situated near restaurants and bars like:

Gefseis Greek Grill, Olas Banditos, Fatwave Surf Resort and Flotsam and Jetsam.

At night time, the Urbiztondo road can be so busy but inside the resort, the noise can't be heard. Definitely a plus for that!


Come dinner time we tried their restaurant. They have an acoustic band performing in their restaurant, The Big Kahuna Bar and Restaurant.

the big kahuna bar and restaurant


For me, the food was just OK. Nothing spectacular or outstanding and it was kind of expensive. The next day, we had complimentary plated breakfast and the food tasted a little bit better especially with the sea breeze blowing right on us. :)

the big kahuna bar and restaurant
Breakfast by the beach!

Coffee makes everything better.

the big kahuna bar and restaurant
Some shot I took practicing how to take good pictures.

I'm so happy with the morning beach waves!




Thanks to the hubby for capturing these photos!
At one corner of the restaurant, they do have billiards which you can use for free.




Of course, I won't leave without trying their spa. Their spa is the next thing that I really like in this resort. The spa place was cozy and the massage was very relaxing. The staff was very accommodating, too. Always smiling and ready to help. My son said he would like to go with me at the spa and I was so glad they have these lazy boy chairs in their waiting area where you can also order food and eat while waiting for your turn or waiting for someone.

Its a bit cold in their spa so they gave my little one a blanket and pillow.

Love, love, love their massage!
After the massage, one of their staff was kind enough to show me some parts of the resort that are being developed so as to accommodate more customers. Its nice to know that they are building bigger rooms and also family rooms.

New pool and bigger rooms.

Gefseis Greek Grill

I've researched about restaurants to visit when in La Union and the number one place that comes up in every list would be Gefseis Greek Grill. It was a walking distance from Kahuna's shore to the restaurant and when we arrived at the place it was very pleasant to see this Greek-themed restaurant facing the beach. I'm not a foodie but I loveee food but Greek cuisine's not my thing having tasted the menu of Cyma for 3x already, please don't get mad Cyma lovers, but my taste buds aren't made for their menu. But with Gefseis food, I appreciated Greek food instantly! We ordered 4 of their dishes and all of them are delightful.



The only flaw I can see in this restaurant is the long waiting time before the food can be served. Maybe its because of the way they cook food or maybe because a lot of people are visiting their store, it would be advisable to come in their store early so as to give you ample time for waiting for your orders. But as I've said, its worth the visit because not only their food is delicious its also not so expensive.


The next day, we had our breakfast again at Kahuna Big Restaurant and I can say it was one of the nicest mornings I've ever experienced having this view while sipping my coffee. A once in a blue moon almost perfect morning. I can almost feel the ocean breeze touching my face just by watching this video:



We will never get enough of you La Union, we will surely come back and stay at this hotel again. I highly recommend it and its one of the most accommodating hotels/resorts I've been to.

Stay positive and pass it on!

Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa contact and info:

http://www.kahunaresort.com/


Rate for 3days 2 nights at Standard Garden View Room: P 12,998.00

P.S All shots taken using Huawei Nova 3i. Am I improving? :)


If you prefer going to the south, you may want to check out this hotel in Tagaytay:
https://www.jocelynpryde.com/2017/06/review-escala-tagaytay.html

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I had a great time with your post. Love to see article regarding beaches. It makes my heart flutter. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a year Joy but we're glad you had a great time. We're featuring this in our socials and we'd love to share your photos and tag you as well. We hope you and your family are safe. Until next time!

    ReplyDelete