New Project: 600 words per day

Saturday, June 02, 2018

Musings. I’ve come across some statements saying that if you really want to be a writer, then you’ve got to write. Write every day. It can be 500 words per day or 30 minutes a day. No need to write for a specific pattern or idea. Just write. And so that’s my one goal for the remaining of 2018. Its June and I’ve got 6 months to go. Hopefully, by December I can proudly announce I’ve reached my goal. My number 1 goal: 1000 words per day. Why am I doing this? Because I want to improve my skills to become a better a writer/blogger.




I’ve read from a book “The Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell that, to be able to be an expert in something you need to do it over and over again. When he said over and over again it doesn’t mean just for a week or a month or a year. According to his studies, you need to do it in for about 10,000 hours. Whoa, that surely is a lot. It’s overwhelming when I first read it. But now I can comprehend what he means. It only means if you really want to be outstanding in what you do, you do it repeatedly only then you can say its really your passion because you do it happily and wholeheartedly. You do it even for free. You do it because you like it, because you love it. And for me, that thing that I could over and over again is writing. And yes I proclaim it is my passion. I might not be as good as the others who know extensive range of vocabulary words, memorizing at least 10 of each word’s synonyms, but in my heart I still want to write even if it means expressing myself in simple words. I have not yet finished the book but I highly recommend it to everyone. I will be buying the book in hardcover (I've read the ebook) because its one of those books you can really read over and over again.

In writing every day, one does not need to write in perfect grammar or in carefully structured paragraphs. One must start just writing. Write about anything that goes to your head. Put it in words, write it on paper or in your word document or in you blog, etc. Use your pen or typewriter or laptop. You just need to get it out of your brains so you can put it in application. Now that’s a real result. And it is always better than none at all. A lot of mistakes at first but if you do it everyday then you can see progress. And that is what I would like myself to do. May be an hour would do for writing 600 words. I am not yet sure as this is the first time I am going to attempt to write six times a week. I have a blog that I really want to keep but whenever I feel like writing, something always comes up and my blog is always being set to the lowest priority. But maybe if I just write in my word document, I wouldn’t feel the pressure of writing in perfection and selecting the most catching phrase to be able to complete my whole blog. Truth is, I can write for hours and hours, only if I don’t feel the pressure of doing it as a task. My mind is that complicated haha! I just want to enjoy putting into words whats actually inside my brain. And maybe someday I can really see a progress in my writing.  And call myself a real blogger. For now, let me try this 10,000 hour thing. Or in my case, at least 600 words per day or an hour of uninterrupted writing. This is going to be one of my biggest projects/goals this year. Yes, who says you can’t start a project by June? And this blog post is the start of my “musings unpublished” project. I really, really hope I can make it happen!
Tomorrow let me see what happens. So help me God. hehehe.


TOTAL: 679 words, unedited, no proof-reading

You Might Also Like

0 comments