How To Get To Baguio For First-Timers

Thursday, January 11, 2018

And for this new year's first post, I made my first video! A new thing I learned last year was about video creation and edition using some apps I downloaded on my phone. 2017 for me was not so productive and I can say its one of those years I've had many setbacks but there are still some new things I learned. And for that, I still say thank you 2017!


This video was made using iPhone 5s only and an app called VideoShow. I originally used it for recording a Christmas video presentation for the Christmas party at Elorde Gym. I enjoyed creating and editing videos, although a bit tiring and time-consuming, so I thought why not make a video during our travels. I thought about doing a "how to go to Baguio by car for first timers" video right after we entered NLEX, so the start of the video was already on the expressway. Nonetheless, I hope this video would be useful for those who are going to Baguio for the first time. It was Jayson (my husband) and Swoosh's (my son) first time in Baguio and my second. But the first one was ages ago, when I was in college (OMG like 15 years ago hahaha!). And its also Jayson's first time to drive that far. He drove the farthest going to Tagaytay, but Baguio is in a whole different level because the road is so steep and Kennon Road as we all know is a "Zigzag Road" because of sharp turns and blind spots. By the way, we chose Kennon Road and not Marcos Highway so I cannot compare the two and tell what's the safest way to Baguio. All I know is, one needs to be careful when driving this road. I just want to emphasize to be very careful when driving on Kennon Road and most especially when overtaking a vehicle. Practice your defensive driving in this kind of road. But let's admit, though the road is very difficult, especially for first-timers, the view is very picturesque and one cannot deny that relaxing view of the mountains and falls. 

Back to our main topic, how to go to Baguio for first timers by car, the road to Baguio is pretty much easy to follow. With NLEXSCTEX and TPLEX already connected, time going to Baguio has already been reduced to 3 hours if non-stop driving while it would take you about 4+ hours if you do some stop over for lunch break or snacks. So, let's get started:

1. If you are coming from Manila, enter North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) from Balintawak, go straight ahead until you reach NLEX-SCTEX (Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway). The link will be near the Dau Tollgate, so right after you pass Dau tollgate, just be on the lookout for the SCTEX sign.

2. After passing SCTEX, follow the signs that say going to TPLEX (Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway). After entering TPLEX, be ready for an almost 100km drive.

3. The TPLEX drive is the longest. You will passAs of this writing, the last exit is Pozorrubio, as you can see in the video, the lane going further TPLEX is still blocked. After entering Pozorrubio toll gate, you will pass Sison, Pangasinan.

4. Follow the signs going to Baguio which is pretty much just straight road, and then you will see the La Union sign. Again, follow the signs going to Baguio that is almost everywhere. 

5. After La Union, you will reach another pay toll which I think is the Benguet Toll gate if I'm not mistaken.

6. Go straight ahead and you will reach Kennon Road! *zigidizigzaggggg*.

7. You somehow arrived at Baguio once you see the "Lion's Head".




In summary, its like NLEX, SCTEX, TPLEX, PANGASINAN then Baguio.


It was a long and happy ride. I like the fact that we can now go to Baguio within 4 hours with the newly constructed TPLEX. Also, shorter time sitting inside the car (because back pain is real; signs of aging hahaha). I remember maybe a decade ago, people would complain about the 7hour drive, even longer hours if you are commuting, whenever going to Baguio. Now, Baguio can be reached easily, a sign of improvement in our road systems, but also resulting to more tourist in the City of Pines making the place too busy and of course, traffic has gotten worse. Still, I am grateful for the improvements in our road systems. I hope more provinces (especially secluded ones) in the north and south can be easily reached with additional public road constructions because, truly, it is more fun and beautiful in the Philippines. And for that I say, let us #choosePhilippines.


Stay positive and pass it on!

Happy New Year!!!


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I LOLed on the huge emojis on screen. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tintry ko kasi takpan yung plate number ng car nila ate ko. hindi ko magawa kaya nilakihan ko na lang yung emojis hahahahaha! failed pa din kita pa din pala sa ibang part ng video hahahaha!

      Delete